Thursday, December 27, 2012

Rule #9

I want you to think about a time when you had a really fun time. If you were describing it to me, most of you would accompany your story with descriptions of how much and how hard you laughed. You might even laugh just at the memory. The average adult laughs 17 times a day and many researchers believe that the purpose of laughter is to strengthen human connections. How cool is that!? Rule #9 is LAUGH. Laughter is contagious. Have you ever tried to tell a joke that you thought was really funny and couldn't get through it because you couldn't stop laughing? Chances are, the person you were telling the story to was laughing with you long before you got to the funny part. Laughter connects people faster than almost any other activity. And let's face it, it feels good!

People are 30 times more likely to laugh when with other people than when alone. Laughter can diffuse a tense situation, can mask embarrassment and awkwardness and make a sad situation bearable. When we laugh, we alter our surroundings...we connect with the people we laugh with...we actually change the chemical makeup of our body! Laughter is truly the best medicine!

One time I got a call from a friend who was with some people she worked with at a nearby restaurant and invited me to join them. Spur of the moment, I did. The evening turned out to be full of laughter. A few weeks later, I ran into one of the people I had dinner with that night, and there was an unexpected kinship between us. Prior to that night, we were perfect strangers, but after a couple hours of laughter, it was like we shared a secret. Laughter brings people together.

So here's another of my secret weapons...laugh. When I am stressed, or sad, or frustrated, or any of the negative states of mind I try to avoid, I find a way to laugh. I download whole albums of my favorite comedians' stand up routines and listen to them when I need to change my mood. I keep an arsenal of funny memories tucked away to be remembered when necessary. I watch a comedy on TV or look at funny pictures and videos. You Tube is a great source for laughter. For me, laughter is the fastest way I know to change my state of mind...and that's priceless!

So laugh often and with abandon. It will only improve your world.

Rule #1 - I AM RESPONSIBLE
Rule #2 - ALWAYS BE KIND
Rule #3 - DON'T HOLD A GRUDGE
Rule #4 - DO THE RIGHT THING
Rule #5 - SMILE
Rule #6 - BE GOOD TO YOURSELF
Rule #7 - SAY I LOVE YOU
Rule #8 - BE POSITIVE
Rule #9 - LAUGH



No comments:

Post a Comment