Friday, December 28, 2012

Rule #10

Oh, this is one of the hardest rules to follow! Rule #10 is DON'T JUDGE. It must be human nature to judge each other because most people I speak to judge others in some way or another. I was on line at a department store and there was a woman in front of me giving the cashier a very hard time. She was in a rush and the cashier just couldn't seem to get anything right. The items rung up wrong then the credit card machine acted up and the woman berated the cashier terribly. I felt very sorry for the cashier, and angry with the woman. I could think of no reason someone should treat someone else in this way and I have to admit, I didn't think very highly of the woman. Then the woman's phone rang and she answered it and I overheard her conversation. Someone she loved was in the hospital, apparently seriously ill, and needed whatever it was that she was buying. It made me think....we never really know why people do the things they do or what they are going through. Who am I to judge someone else? What is right for me may not be right for you.

Now, I'm not condoning bad behavior or heinous acts. What I am saying is its not my place to judge. I have a friend who's father doesn't speak to him because he is gay. What purpose does it serve for the father to judge his son? What purpose does it serve for me to judge the father? Both are in pain. In the end, judging someone else causes pain and the lack of judgement brings peace. I don't have to agree, I just need to strive to not judge.

It isn't easy. I often find myself judging the actions and motivation of those around me. But at least if I work towards acceptance, I will live a more peaceful life... And I just may bring peace to the life of someone else.

Now think about how peaceful the world would be if we all worked towards being judgement free!


Rule #1 - I AM RESPONSIBLE
Rule #2 - ALWAYS BE KIND
Rule #3 - DON'T HOLD A GRUDGE
Rule #4 - DO THE RIGHT THING
Rule #5 - SMILE
Rule #6 - BE GOOD TO YOURSELF
Rule #7 - SAY I LOVE YOU
Rule #8 - BE POSITIVE
Rule #9 - LAUGH
Rule #10 - DON'T JUDGE

No comments:

Post a Comment