Monday, December 31, 2012

Rule #12

I've been to many sales rally's, conventions and trade shows over the years and I've noticed one constant among the most successful...music. I believe music makes a good party great, a great restaurant outstanding. Nothing changes the ambiance or mood as quickly and decisively as music. Rule #12 is SING AND DANCE. I think this rule is the most fun...what could be better than singing and dancing, right? But for me, music is serious business. Now, I don't know how to play an instrument, I sing only fair, I can't follow a dance routine...but music is so much a part of my world that I can't imagine a life without it. I call this rule sing and dance because that is how I interact with music, but the truth is, this rule is about using music to enhance my life.

Think about Disney World, every where you go, there is music...happy music for a happy place. Would the great white shark in Jaws or Darth Vader in Star Wars have been half as scary without the now famous music that accompanied their arrival? Advertisers, movie directors, meeting planners, marketing professionals...they all use music to set the tone and enhance the experience. So why not use music to set the tone for our own experience? Have you ever been driving when a song came on the radio that you loved and you turned it up, sang along, tapped your fingers on the steering wheel, maybe even bopped your head in time with the music and arrived at your destination just a little bit happier? I start every day with music...music that I find upbeat and happy. Music that sets the tone for how I want my day to play out. When I have a presentation, I listen to music that makes me feel powerful. If I'm feeling blue, I listen to music that makes me feel happy. On my way to a night out with friends, I listen to fun party music. If I'm going to karaoke, I play music I like to sing to. And yes, I do sing and dance...nearly every day :-)

There are so many great tools now from noise reduction headphones, MP3 players, portable speakers...it is so easy to control the music you listen to. I have playlists for every kind of mood I want to manufacture. I admit, I do stay away from music that makes me feel sad or melancholy because I don't want that music to influence my mood. But the possibilities are endless! So this is an easy rule...find music that makes you dance, music that makes you sing. Make the soundtrack of your own life and enjoy!


Rule #1 - I AM RESPONSIBLE
Rule #2 - ALWAYS BE KIND
Rule #3 - DON'T HOLD A GRUDGE
Rule #4 - DO THE RIGHT THING
Rule #5 - SMILE
Rule #6 - BE GOOD TO YOURSELF
Rule #7 - SAY I LOVE YOU
Rule #8 - BE POSITIVE
Rule #9 - LAUGH
Rule #10 - DON'T JUDGE
Rule #11 - SET GOALS
Rule #12 - SING AND DANCE





No comments:

Post a Comment