Saturday, December 29, 2012

Rule #11

I have a GPS I use to find my way. Before that I used mapquest and before that I had maps. All these tools have one thing in common...I have to know two things....where I am and where I am going. It's the same with life. In order to grow, I need to know where I am and where I want to go. Rule #11 is SET GOALS. I have read so many articles and books and listened to so many tapes on setting goals over the years, but I've come to the conclusion that I only need to know two things. Where I am and where I want to be. In everything I've studied about goal setting, the one thing that seems to be missing is the self assessment on where I am now. So much is said about writing down your goals, thinking of them as already achieved, imagining the end result, the list goes on and on. The truth is, I don't really think it matters how I set my goals...it only matters that I set them...and unless I know where I am starting from, I won't know how to achieve them.

A goal is a target. Now, the beautiful thing about a goal is that it doesn't matter where I'm at now. I can start from wherever I am, set my GPS, and the lady will tell me how to get there...no matter how far away I am. So the self assessment should not be painful, just honest. It doesn't matter where I've been, my GPS still tells me how to get to where I want to go. Remember, don't judge! Now it's time to determine where I want to go....what goals do I want to achieve? This is the fun part! Over the years I have approached goal setting in many ways..affirmations, imaging, and so on. What is working for me right now is keeping a list. Find what is comfortable for you.

Some things to remember...

You have to believe to achieve. If you don't believe you can achieve your goal, you never will. Start with small, easy to achieve goals and build up to the bigger ones.

Like you, your goals are alive and ever changing. Don't be afraid to change your mind, alter your destination, set a new goal.

Lastly, don't be afraid to fail. The truth is, you may not achieve every goal you set....but you will never achieve the goals you don't set!


Rule #1 - I AM RESPONSIBLE
Rule #2 - ALWAYS BE KIND
Rule #3 - DON'T HOLD A GRUDGE
Rule #4 - DO THE RIGHT THING
Rule #5 - SMILE
Rule #6 - BE GOOD TO YOURSELF
Rule #7 - SAY I LOVE YOU
Rule #8 - BE POSITIVE
Rule #9 - LAUGH
Rule #10 - DON'T JUDGE
Rule #11 - SET GOALS



No comments:

Post a Comment