Monday, December 3, 2012

My first blog

So this is my first blog, but in some ways, I've been blogging all my life. My name is Terri and I want to tell you about the things I know about life. I live a successful life. I live a happy life. I live a productive life. So, I thought I would like to share my "life rules" with anyone interested. Today I will share rule #1...I AM RESPONSIBLE.

I take responsibility for everything in my life. Of course, I can't always control the world and events around me, but I am ALWAYS responsible for my reaction to them. Do you ever remember a time when something happened to you or someone said something that bothered you a little bit, but the more you thought about it your distress grew and grew until it was all consuming? I want you to think about that time. Isn't it uncanny? You can probably bring those negative feelings right to the forefront just thinking about it. Now, imagine if you just stopped those thoughts from escalating. How much more pleasant would that experience be? Now imagine that right after the unpleasant event or words, someone distracted you and your thought process was interrupted. Do you think your distress would be nearly as all consuming? Of course not!

So if negative thoughts can escalate...I like to say snowball...doesn't it make sense that positive thoughts can do the same? Well here's my secret...they do! Find some happy memories, daydreams, anything that makes you smile when you think about it. Pull them out when you need a thought overhaul. Don't expect to wind up ecstatic, but you'll be a hell of a lot better off than if you let those negative thoughts take over.

So now, you've learned the first lesson. Control your thoughts, control your experience. I am responsible for my reactions. I am responsible for my thoughts. I am responsible for how I experience every event in my life. Trust me, you will live a happier life if you learn to "interrupt" the negative snowballing of thoughts.

Until next time....stay happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment