Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sunshine

I was waiting outside for someone yesterday and the sun was shining brightly and felt warm on my face. Now, it's winter here in NJ right now and it's been cold out. The warm heated inside is much more inviting than the cold windy outside. Most of us run from the car to wherever we are going and I have to admit I've been guilty of that myself this year. But being outside in the sun yesterday reminded me of how much I need the sun. Sunshine literally gives me joy when I stop to appreciate it. Being in sunlight calms me when I am anxious. And lets face it, a sunny day just makes us feel good.

Now, I didn't want to post anything here that would be harmful, and I know the sun can cause harm, so I did a little research. According to the National Institute of Health, the benefits of the sun come from Vitamin D, which is vital to your health in a whole host of ways. However, as long as you protect your skin, the benefits of the sun far outweigh any negatives. But I am not a very scientific gal, and none of my (very minimal) research even mentioned the benefits that I think are the most important...the sun's effects on my mood!

I am always aware of my mood and how I feel...and what is contributing to it. In order to live a fulfilling life, I strive to be happy and positive much of the time. I am keenly aware of what external forces can contribute to an improvement in my mood. I've talked to you about music, laughter, meditation, smiling to name a few...and now the sun. When you think about it, the sun is usually associated with fun activities...the beach, sports, picnics...on and on. But I am suggesting a daily dose of sun...ten minutes or so, every day that the sun is out. Even more when you are stressed or feeling down. I think you'll find, as I did, that the very act of appreciating the sun has a profound effect on your mood. A benefit that goes way beyond the Vitamin D!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment