Sunday, February 3, 2013

Intuition

My daughter is a teacher and very good at her job. I do not have the privilege of being in her classroom with her, but I have had the opportunity, on many occasions to observe her with children of all ages. Children love her, are drawn to her instinctively. I have seen children that are total strangers to her being drawn to her as if they knew she would love them. Long before she speaks to them, makes faces at them, plays with them, they are attracted to her. Children follow their instincts.

As we get older, many outside influences interfere with our ability to recognize and follow our instincts...logic, the opinion of others, common practice...to name a few. Have you ever had a bad feeling about doing something, but you did it anyway? How did it turn out? Our lives are full of those events that we say "I knew I shouldn't have done that!". Now there may be some fundamental difference between instincts and intuition, but I look at both as the same. I believe that many of us have allowed our instincts, our intuition, to be dulled by our surroundings, but it doesn't have to be that way. I contend that practice makes perfect. If we pay closer attention to our intuition, it will become sharper. Even if we don't follow our instincts, if we notice when they are right, we will enhance our ability to recognize them.

We need to be more like children, follow our instincts...suspend logic, peer pressure, common practice. Our intuition, our instincts are there to serve us!

No comments:

Post a Comment