Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Take Good Care...

On an airplane, they teach you that in case of an emergency, you must put the oxygen mask on yourself before helping others. I was on an airplane recently and this got me thinking...that's kinda how it is in life, isn't it? We really need to take care of ourselves before we can be of any benefit to anyone else. This is true physically, spiritually and emotionally. Years ago, when my husband was in the hospital, I would go to the hospital very early in the morning and stay very late at night. I wasn't sleeping or eating properly. After only a few days of this, I passed out in the hospital corridor with low blood sugar. Of course, it is common sense to make sure you eat and sleep, but I use this example because it is so obvious. Caring for yourself emotionally and spiritually is much more subtle, but just as important. How can you help someone else through emotional turmoil if you are not emotionally strong yourself?

So I guess this post is short and sweet, but oh so important! Take good care of yourself, in all aspects of your life...be a little selfish, take time for just you. Read, meditate, go to the spa, listen to music, walk in the park...take the time! If you don't, you won't be of any good to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment