Sunday, February 8, 2015

Decisions

A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary and inevitably, we got the "what's the secret?" question. After some thought, I came up with an answer that felt right to me. The secret is millions of small decisions...you know, decisions to overlook the unwanted and decisions to notice the wanted. When I look back at the times that were hard, I can pinpoint the decisions I was making. It's really quite simple, not necessarily easy...but simple. So, I've come to realize, making decisions is not only the secret to a happy marriage...it's the secret to a happy life!

Think back to problems you've had with other people. In every case, you could have made the decision to focus on the behavior, the words, the actions of someone else...or ignore. Now, I'm not saying you weren't justified, or the slight wasn't so great it would be impossible to ignore...sometimes that's the case...but every time, you had a choice. This realization is exciting to me!  Not only am I empowered to decide what will effect me....but I can make the decision to ignore the things that don't serve me!  Not only that, but think about all the things that do serve me...I can choose to focus on the positive influences in my life. Choose to notice the driver letting me merge rather than the driver who sped up to prevent me from merging...choose to notice the coworker who's always smiling rather than the one who's always complaining. Every day, you are making decisions...these millions of little decisions...that are molding your life...creating who you are. As the old TV show used to say...."choose wisely, grasshopper". 


No comments:

Post a Comment