Monday, January 5, 2015

A Little Bit of Appreciation...

Do you want to know the fastest, sure fire way to get out of a bad mood? Think about all the things in your life that you are thankful for! It works like a charm...providing you can control your thoughts enough to focus on appreciation. That's the hard part, right? We all know that thinking about things we are grateful for will improve our mood....it's just hard to think about them when we are in the grips of a bad mood. So how do we do it? Well, I start out slow. If I try to force gratitude into my negative thought pattern, my mind resists and I find myself even more negative than I started out to be. But I find that if I can find one small thread, I can build on that thought, no matter how small. From there, I find it just a little bit easier to find another thought, then another...well, you get the picture.  

A few weeks ago, I was having a bad day...you know the kind, when you are hit with everything from a stubbed toe to depressing news...and everything in between! Well, I had a presentation to do late in the afternoon and I was not feeling very upbeat and positive. I feared my presentation would fall flat and I would be a huge flop. The problem was, no matter how much I tried to force happy thoughts and appreciation into my consciousness, I just couldn't get past my glum. I was getting a little panicky, which only made me feel worse. Finally, in my frustration, I put my head in my hands...and I noticed that my hair felt really soft...and I liked that. From there, I remembered a complement that someone had given me about my hair the day before. From there, I was able to pull up more gratitude until I was doing okay. I did fine in my presentation, not my finest, but fine. I'm not looking for miracles, but improvement...through Appreciation. I know how minor the softness of my hair is...how inconsequential in the big picture...but it was the one small thing that was the catalyst for me to change my thought momentum. So the next time you're feeling down...look for that one small thing. You never know what it will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment