Sunday, December 29, 2013

Rule #4: Do the Right Thing

I once heard a quote that said "Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking". That's so true, isn't it?  We always know what the right thing is, don't we?  There's a little voice...conscience... something telling us what's right and what's wrong.  In order to live a happy life, we have to be happy with the person we are, and that means being a person of integrity.  Being able to look ourselves in the mirror and like what we see...with the full understanding that what's right for us may not be what's right for someone else...but with the acceptance of both.  

Over this past year, this rule has expanded for me.  I have come to recognize a difference between conscience and intuition.  So this rule now has two parts.  The first part is doing the right thing as a moral decision as I've just discussed, in which case you would be listening to your conscience.  The second part, as I've come to see it is more of a personal "right" thing, in which case you would be listening to your intuition.  Over the past year, I have been focusing on hearing that little voice that I have been ignoring for so long...my intuition.  This has been revolutionary for me!  As with your conscience, the more you focus on hearing your intuition, the stronger it becomes.  Developing your intuition is fun!  This holiday season alone I have avoided traffic jams, found just the right store to get just the right gift, found money on the ground, ran into the right person who gave me the perfect idea, arrived just before crowds and more great parking spaces to list here.

There is no secret weapon to developing either your conscience or intuition, except practice.  Think of them like muscles...the more you use them, the stronger they become.  There is no down side to this...follow your inner voices and always do the right thing!  You'll thank me later...

No comments:

Post a Comment