Thursday, March 28, 2013

Satisfied?

Are we ever fully satisfied? Oh, of course, we can be satisfied for the moment, but eventually we yearn for more. When you eat a big meal, you may satisfy your hunger, but in time, you will be hungry again. When you earn a good salary, you will be happy for a while, but eventually, you will want more. We want our relationships to grow stronger, we want new things, we get haircuts to look different...better. If we had perfect weather every day of the year, we would get bored and never really appreciate a beautiful day. In everything we do and have, we eventually want more. I think dissatisfaction is the key to success.

I believe it's the yearning for more that drives us. If we were to become completely satisfied, there would be no motivation. Without motivation, we would never improve. Without improvement, we would shrivel up and die. Now, I'm not talking about greed. I'm not talking about hoarding. These are traits that hurt you and those around you. No, I'm talking about never being satisfied with the status quo. Always looking to improve ourselves and our surroundings.

So what motivates us to improve? It's in the knowing what we DON'T want that clarifies the knowing what we DO want. We can never see something better through the eyes of satisfaction. Our growth is in the contrast...without the dissatisfaction, there would be no movement...no improvement. So I welcome that feeling of dissatisfaction...of yearning, of wanting more. It means I'm growing. It means I'm improving. It means I'm alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment